Sunday, February 6, 2011

Gig5 - Devonport Regional Gallery February 5th

Feb 5th Devonport Regional Gallery, Devonport
Next Stop was DEVOnport. My home town and the one I grew up in. Salamanca Arts has said as we departed "let us know if Devonport shows us up". Well by the time we arrived they already had with a nicely presented bar, there's only publicity campaign with AXXONN posters spread all around the city and a church to play in, I mean the church alone would have ticked the box over Hobart. It's always weird to play in Devonport but also fun. Weird because I remember going to all sorts of performance events by travelling outsiders but never imagined I would be that traveling outsider. It's always fun because random people turn up that I haven't seen for years and the guys i usually play with take delight in hearing the wondrous stories i have about the place. The gig was pretty epic with the venue being the Devonport Regional Gallery, an old church with beautiful acoustics and a PA system big enough to fill a stadium.

The acts were decidedly more 'heavy' tonight as as it happened my grandmother (70+) had decided to drop by to see what AXXONNs all about. Having sat through soundcheck I was worried for her to say the least. I realised I'm happy to terrify others grandmothers but wasn't so sure about terrifying my own. It's not that they don't know what I do for a career it's just I don't often get the chance to play nearby. It also probably doesn't help that as a representation of what I do my mother gives my grandmother the most 'user friendly' track from the recently AXXONN album, a masterful arpeggiatored piano/drums melody ;)

So the night goes off without a hitch, my grandmother spends most of it with her fingers in her ears and a look of her face likes she having a heart attack. A great and appreciative crowd turn up who are lapping up the array of merchandise on display, something I've noticed more regional areas are keen to do. We discovered Devonport's newest restaurant Bento a sweet Japanese place with great meals and service, something Devonport's been lacking for a while. All in all the shows went well with a couple of curve balls (HOBART) and some great laughs with the local supports Duo, Spheres and Oceans.
















No comments:

Post a Comment