Sunday, January 30, 2011

GIG1 Smoke Face - Excelsior Hotel Sydney, Friday 28th


by Miles Martignoni

The friday night show should have been retitled 'Sweat Fest 2011'. I dig band rooms generally because they have low ceilings and they're tight sound wise meaning feeling them with sound is no problem (+ the smoke can't escape). This was the first gig for AXXONN for 2011 and after a break of nearly 2-months (something I'm not very accustomed too) + there hadn't been much time to revamp the set as i havd been on tour right up to this show doing 'Tom Hall' shows.

I was actually a bit nervous but after hitting the first distortion pedal it all just drained away, the new set is probably the most fun to date with a nice mix of improv, old and new stuff with plenty of room to take left turns. Overall I felt it was well responded too although I wouldn't really know as i was quite delirious from heat exhaustion towards the end of my set.

The other acts were all pretty amazing especially Breathing Shrine who blew the roof of the place, it was their last show in Sydney also as Rob Mayson (one half of Breathing Shrine) heads to the USA late February.

I've always had a hard time playing in Sydney, crowds, people, booking shows so I was super relieved to end this phase of touring/AXXONN on a high note.

No comments:

Post a Comment